I have recently joined a church community that believes in the power of prayer and often extends prayer for healing of all types. It has refreshed my concerns and I wrote the following from a purely personal perspective in an attempt to get some clarity about what prayers I would want from others.
Prayers for Me
Do not pray for my body to be healed
For we know not what gifts this illness brings.
Do not pray for abundance to flow my way
For we know not what lessons poverty offers.
Do not pray for my relationship
For we know not what joy solitude might bring.
Please pray only for my peace of mind,
for my openness of heart and
my growing understanding of myself as part of the One.
I guess it all boils down to "Thy will be done." But, then, isn't God's will always going to be done? Here's another, probably better thought out perspective:
12 Reasons to Pray and 12 Things to Pray For
By Living Life Abundantly
Reasons to Pray:
1. It encourages others.
2. It reminds you of spiritual values.
3. It gives hope.
4. It helps you feel better.
5. It allows you to let go of situations.
6. It provides comfort.
7. It relaxes you and reduces anxiety.
8. It builds faith.
9. It deepens character.
10. It broadens your perspective.
11. It brings you closer to God.
12. IT WORKS!
Things to Pray For:
1. For a growing relationship with God.
2. For positive relationships with your family members.
3. For energy and enthusiasm for your work or career.
4. For wisdom to make right and wise decisions.
5. For your service to your community and/or church.
6. For the special needs of your family and friends.
7. For the spiritual lives of your church leaders and congregation.
8. For wisdom for our government leaders.
9. For the moral integrity of today’s young people.
10. For the safety of those serving in our armed forces.
11. For a lasting peace among peoples and nations.
12. For the opportunity to be a blessing to someone today.