- Frames within frames, different treatments of the edges
- Texture, especially when created by a mixture of media that normally doesn't go together
- Color, sparkle and anything shiny
- Oversized or anything bigger than normal ... smaller than normal didn't usually call to me.
- Themes or a sense of connection to the artist's passion
- Juxtaposition or surprising combinations ... a series of blue wine bottles with words such as "gratitude," "misery," or "pity" etched onto them with a warning not to open under pressure.
Friday, October 16, 2009
A 7-state craft fair happens to be here in Asheville so I headed off this morning to see it and found that, like most craft fairs, 80% of the crafts are pretty common, 20% is vibrant and exciting and a handful of artists are truly exceptional. (Of course my 20% and someone else's are seldom the same so probably every craftsperson there is part of someone's 20%.) I started to pay particular attention to what called to me and sometimes stopped me in my tracks to see what I could learn about attention ... or at least my attention. Here are some things I found that stopped me...
Posted by Joyce Wycoff at 1:04 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment